Dust, grit and more dust and more grit.


Dust, grit and more dust and more grit.

Since the haulout things have been rather hectic. First we sandblasted the interior with a sweep-blast, to blow away all old paint and find any bad spots. This was done by an outside contractor, as I believe that the professionals would be able to do a way better job and in a much shorter time frame than I could ever do. After the sweep-blast they also performed the Chlorid Test to show exactly what the surface chloride contamination level is. The way I understand it, the salts level on the steel surface that will cause rust down the line. As expected the test came back with a medium contamination of the steel.

SandblastingSandblasting
Chlorid TestChlorid Test
Chlorid TestChlorid Test
Chlorid TestChlorid Test
Chlorid TestChlorid Test

Next a mate of mine brought his metal thickness tester around and we checked the thicknesses of the plate around areas that are suspect i.e. daylight shining through… I decided to cut out all the plates where there was, any rust spots and any chloride contamination levels. That worked out to be +- ¼ of the entire hull…  Fun times.

Marked Sections
Marked SectionsMarked Sections
Marked SectionsSandblasted
Very Bad Spot Chlorid Test Comparison Sheet

Add a Facebook Comment

Comment

Leave a Reply